Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Here are my Power Rankings at the beginning of Week 5 in the NFL:
1. New York Giants (4-0) - Eli Manning may not play this week to nurse a sore heel. That's okay, considering the Giants are at home against the Raiders.
2. New Orleans Saints (4-0) - Everyone expected their offense to shine against the Jets, not their defense. With a well-balanced team the Saints have a very bright future.
3. Indianapolis Colts (4-0) - They keep winning every week. The defense is beginning to get healthy too.
4. Minnesota Vikings (4-0) - A big test against the Packers at home, and they passed with flying colors.
5. Baltimore Ravens (3-1) - A penalty and a dropped pass cost them the game, they had the win in the sights.
6. New England Patriots (3-1) - The Patriots played well at home and came out with the win against the Ravens. Very impressive. If Welker can get healthy and play to his potential, the Patriots are on their way back offensively.
7. San Francisco 49ers (3-1) - With the addition of Crabtree, the 49ers should have a receiving threat by Week 7 or 8.
8. Philadelphia Eagles (2-1) - They were idle last week, easy victory at home against the Bucs this week.
9. New York Jets (3-1) - The defense held New Orleans offense to 10 points. This defense is legit. Let's see how Mark Sanchez responds to a poor performance when he heads into Miami this Monday night.
10 Denver Broncos (4-0) - What a great win against the Cowboys. The Broncos defense played tremendous all 60 minutes. Unfortunately the Broncos undefeated streak is on its way to an end. With games against New England, @ San Diego, @ Baltimore, Pittsburgh, @ Washington, San Diego, and home against the New York Giants, it will be tough.
11. Atlanta Falcons (2-1) - I am very interested to see how the Falcons play against the 49ers this week as they are well rested coming off of a bye week. The 49ers defense is tough, and just put up a donut-hole against the Rams, so they will be very confident.
12. Chicago Bears (3-1) - The Bears are hot, unfortunately they have a bye this week. I still like them to challenge the Vikings for the divisional crown.
13. Cincinnati Bengals (3-1) - A tipped pass away from being 4-0. After losing to the Broncos who are (4-0), winning in Green Bay, beating the Steelers (playoff team), and beating the Browns in Cleveland I have to consider the Bengals as a legitimate contender from the AFC-North.
14. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) - With ALL-PRO Safety Troy Polamalu out again, the Steelers will make use of their secret weapon, Rashard Mendenhall, and get back over .500.
15. San Diego Chargers (2-2) - The Chargers are so good offensively, but they are so bad defensively! This bye week came at the best time of the year for San Diego. They will end up being fine.
16. Green Bay Packers (2-2) - I am not giving up on the Packers. I like Aaron Rodgers and I like this team, but if the offensive line does not get better, I will give up on this team.
17. Dallas Cowboys (2-2) - The Cowboys 2 wins are against teams that are (0-4) and their 2 losses are against teams that are (4-0), therefore, I think this Dallas team falls right in the middle.
18. Arizona Cardinals (1-2) - We will see the true colors of Kurt Warner and his Cardinals when they take on the Texans in Arizona this weekend.
19. Houston Texans (2-2) - With 2 straight road games, Arizona then Cincinnati, the Texans need to at least win one. Let's see if this Texans defense can get pressure on Kurt Warner this week and force him to make some bad throws.
20. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-2) - David Garrard is playing well and has gotten them to 2-2 so far.
21. Miami Dolphins (1-3) - The Dolphins lost a lot when Chad Pennington went down, but Chad Henne played well last week and with a tremendous ground game, Henne will be able to progress each week.
22. Tennessee Titans (0-4) - The Titans will probably be 0-5 after this week, but I still like this team. Their defense is solid, their running backs are good, and they have a great coach. Question is, will Vince Young start Week 8 against Jacksonville? I say YES.
23. Seattle Seahawks (1-3) - The Seahawks need Matt Hasselbeck back to have a chance at winning some games this season.
24. Buffalo Bills (1-3) - Can the Bills get a home win against the Browns on Sunday?
25. Carolina Panthers (0-3) - The Panthers get their first win this week.
26. Washington Redskins (2-2) - The Skins are a bad football team. I predict a loss in Carolina this weekend.
27. Detroit Lions (1-3) - The Lions may be starting Daunte Culpepper this weekend, and I think he will put up some numbers against Pittsburgh, but not enough for a win.
28. Cleveland Browns (0-4) - The Browns aren't good, but I actually think the loss of Braylon Edwards will help this team. Mohamed Massaquoi will benefit from the loss.
29. Oakland Raiders (1-3) - Bad team, no heart.
30. Kansas City Chiefs (0-4) - They won't win this week.
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-4) - They won't win this week.
32. St. Louis Rams (0-4) - You guessed it: They won't win this week.