Thursday, October 15, 2009
Here are my power rankings for the NFL heading into Week 6:
1. New York Giants (5-0) - Eli Manning is second only to his brother in quarterback rating (111.7) and he has only been sacked 2 times in 5 games. Big game in New Orleans this week, but I don't see a Giants win being an upset like the odds makers do.
2. Indianapolis Colts (5-0) - Peyton Manning is the leader in QB Rating (114), completions (133), yards (1645), td's (12), and has only been sacked twice. He is the MVP of the NFL after the first 5 weeks and he will be watching the games on a couch this Sunday as the Colts are on a bye week.
3. New Orleans Saints (4-0) - Huge game against the Giants this weekend at home. Can Brees and the offense run the ball efficiently and make some big plays with the play-action pass? Can the Saints defense be as good as they have been all year as they take on Jacobs and Bradshaw this week? I think the Saints are not physical enough in the trenches to win this game. It will be close.
4. Minnesota Vikings (5-0) - Brett Farve has already taken this franchise to a level they never thought they could reach. With AP running the ball, and the gun-slinger making smart decisions, the Ravens will have to play nearly perfect to get the win in Minnesota.
5. Denver Broncos (5-0) - When will people start believing in this team? Did you see the Broncos defense eat up the Patriots and hold them to just 17 points? Do you see the chemistry that this team has and share with each other? Did you see new head coach Josh McDaniels celebrate after the victory against his former team? This team is for real. The defense is allowing just 8 points per game and Kyle Orton is playing like a potential MVP candidate. This team can beat the Chargers on Sunday, but will they do it is the real question?
6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-1) - The tipped-pass loss is looking better and better each week as the Broncos are showing that they are a legit contender. The Bengals are a good football team. Can they remain this consistent? After an ugly win in Cleveland, the Bengals gave everything they had to pull off the last second win against the Ravens in Baltimore last week. I don't think they come prepared against the Texans this week. The Texans can put up points in a hurry and I think the Bengals will be caught sleeping this week.
7. Philadelphia Eagles (3-1) - They will be 4-1 after this weekend in Oakland, and we still won't know a thing about them.
8. Atlanta Falcons (3-1) - What an impressive win on the road against the 49ers last week. Michael Turner played great, and Matt Ryan continues to impress week in and week out. This defense is 24th overall, so that is their weakness. But, if the offense can play well enough to put up 20-24 points they could win a lot of games this year. Great matchup this weekend as Ryan and Cutler battle for their 4th win of the season.
9. Baltimore Ravens (3-2) - This is a good football team. They would have won last week had they let Flacco loose. Let the kid play.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2) - With Polamalu set to return this week or next, the Steelers are in good shape to get this division back in their hands. The loss of Aaron Smith will be felt for the rest of the season.
11. Chicago Bears (3-1) - The Bears play a pivotal game this weekend in Atlanta. The Bears are coming off a bye week so they should be very prepared to play the Falcons. Atlanta is coming off a huge road win in San Francisco and they will be pumped up to play in front of their home crowd. If Cutler can make smart throws and utilize Forte in the backfield, this will be a great game to see.
12. New York Jets (3-2) - The Jets will eat up the Bills this week after the brutal loss in Miami on Monday night. I can't imagine how practice was this week.
13. New England Patriots (3-2) - When will Tom Brady come back? Will he ever come back? Even if he does not return to his 2007 form, this Patriots team is still very good and Brady and Welker are so hard to defend.
14. San Francisco 49ers (3-2) - I wonder if the 49ers were still hurt from the loss in Minnesota? This bye week couldn't have come at better time. FYI - Crabtree is active.
15. San Diego Chargers (2-2) - Coming off of a bye week, playing at home, and they are playing the top team in the division that is undefeated. Do they need any more reasons to play well?
16. Miami Dolphins (2-3) - What a great win for the Dolphins on Monday night. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams looked phenomenal, but Chad Henne stole the show. He mad so many smart decisions with the ball, and he took chances when he had the opportunity. The Dolphins are right back in the thick of things.
17. Dallas Cowboys (3-2) - Don't get on the Miles Austin bandwagon just yet. This team is way too inconsistent to believe in, and a 6 point win over the Chiefs is not a good win.
18. Green Bay Packers (2-2) - Aaron Rodgers is a very good quarterback with a very bad offensive line. The Packers can be a good team, but in order for that to happen they must start protecting their quarterback.
19. Seattle Seahawks (2-3) - The Seahawks are such a different team when Matt Hasselbeck is playing. They took advantage of their home crowd and layed a beat down on the Jaguars. Seattle is back.
20. Arizona Cardinals (2-2) - Tough game this week as they travel to Seattle. Can the Cardinals play consistent football two weeks in a row?
21. Houston Texans (2-3) - They have a great opportunity to steal a win this week as the Bengals are coming off two wins on the road that required everything they had to give. If the Texans can get out early this game could be over fast.
22. Carolina Panthers (1-3) - Jake Delhomme deserves a start this week in fantasy. I don't think it will be a blow out, but I do this the Panthers get the win by a touchdown in Tampa Bay.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-3) - The Jaguars play the Rams, go on a bye week, play at Tennessee, and then play the Chiefs. Maurice Jones-Drew will do everything he can to make his team go 3-0 in the next 4 weeks.
24. Washington Redskins (2-3) - With the players standing by their coach, I expect a win at home against the Chiefs this weekend.
25. Tennessee Titans (0-5) - Have you ever seen a more talented 0-5 team?
26. Cleveland Browns (1-4) - Derek Anderson gets the start this week after going 2/17 and 23 yards last weekend in Buffalo.
27. Buffalo Bills (1-4) - Make it 1-5 as they will get blown out by the Jets this week.
28. Detroit Lions (1-4) - The Lions may have Stafford back this week, even so, they are playing the Packers in Green Bay. Not a good chance for a win this week.
29. Kansas City Chiefs (0-5) - The Chiefs played the Cowboys tough last week, and the Redskins are not a good football team. This could be an interesting game.
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-5) - Josh Johnson or Josh Freeman? Freeman please.
31. St. Louis Rams (0-5) - I don't know when the Rams will win a game, but the Raiders shouldn't be anywhere but dead last.
32. Oakland Raiders (1-4) - Take JaMarcus Russell out and let's start from there.